Roof Fortification: Protecting Your Property from hurricanes and storms.
As the local Wilmington, North Carolina area has seen recently, hurricane and strong storms can cause significant damage to homes and buildings. One of the most vulnerable parts of a structure is the roof, which is often the first point of contact for high winds, falling debris, and other hazards.
Fortunately, there are steps homeowners can take to fortify their roofs to better withstand these types of weather events. Some common methods of fortification include:
- Reinforcing the roof deck: The roof deck, or the structural layer of the roof that supports the shingles, is a critical component of the roofing system. To reinforce the roof deck, homeowners can add additional layers of plywood or other structural materials to increase its strength and rigidity. The best way to know how to handle this is to call a licensed and insured local roofing company who understands the area and conditions.
- Installing hurricane straps: These straps, also known as wind straps, tie the roof deck to the walls and foundations of the house, providing added stability and resistance to high winds.
- Adding a secondary water barrier: A secondary water barrier, such as a rubber membrane, can be added to the roof to provide an extra layer of protection against water infiltration in the event of wind-driven rain or other types of water damage.
- Replacing old roofing materials: Homes with older roofing materials, such as asphalt shingles, are more vulnerable to damage from high winds and other hazards. Replacing old roofing materials with newer, more durable materials, such as metal roofing, can help increase the overall strength and resilience of the roof.
- Improving ventilation: Proper ventilation can help keep the attic cool and reduce the risk of damage from heat buildup.
By fortifying their roofs, homeowners can take proactive steps to protect their property and their families in the event of a hurricane. It’s important to consider hiring a professional roofing company to assess the condition of your roof and the fortification that is required and necessary. The team at Atlantic Roofing Company can assess the condition of your roof based on a number of factors and determine which tactics would best suit your need. We can consult with you and
your insurance company to find out what repairs or if replacement is an option for your home under your current policy.
It’s also important to note that fortification measures may not protect your roof completely and will depend on the strength of the hurricane or storm and outlying weather conditions. It’s always
best to have a hurricane plan in place and to consider purchasing flood and wind insurance to protect your property and your financial well-being in case of a storm. Our goal at Atlantic Roofing Company is to make sure our customers, their family and their homes are shielded from storm at all times. We always consult with our customers to find the best solutions in roofing to ensure this happens. If you have questions or concerns about the condition and quality of your roof and what options may be available to you, give us a call or click here for a free estimate.