Does the word vintage send you racing to the nearest flea market? For a lot of homeowners, finding that unique look is crucial. While metal roofs are durable, the plain, unadulterated look is a turnoff for most people.
The good news is that you do not have to wait around for nature to take its course on your new metal roof. Anyone can achieve a rich, rustic finish either by contacting a company to do it or by doing it yourself.
How to Make a New Metal Roof Look Old
What You Need
To age your new metal roof, all you need are a couple of common household products and essential tools.
For the chemicals, you need a bleaching agent, like a toilet cleaner, and regular baking soda. You also need a heat gun and an old paintbrush.
Once you’ve got the necessary supplies, the process is simple.
The Process: 5 Steps to a Beautifully Aged Metal Roof
- Squirt the cleaner onto the metal. Use the brush to spread out the cleaner and use the heat gun to dry the cleaner onto the metal.
- Once you’ve got the base layer, take a glass and mix in some of the cleaner and half the baking soda. Mix this into a paste.
- Take the paste and apply it to the metal with a brush in a good, thick layer. Then dry with the heat gun. The baking soda makes the mixture thick enough to cover the metal. The mixture bubbles up once the paste dries. This is the key to the whole process.
- Let the roof completely dry and cool off.
- After a few minutes, use water to wash away the paste and reveal the graceful aging.
Notes on Safety
Never work on a damaged or wet roof. First, get the roof repaired or allow it to dry before you do any kind of work on it.
Also, if you’re trying the process above, make sure you’re not in an enclosed area. You shouldn’t be if you’re up on the roof, but you just want to have plenty of fresh air when working with bleach. If you want to be extra safe, wear a mask.
If you aren’t sure about what you are doing, it’s best to leave the work to the professionals.
Get Help with Your New Metal Roof Near Wilmington
Do you have questions about how to care for and maintain a new metal roof? Find out what you need to know before you attempt to artificially age yours. The experts at Atlantic Roofing Company are on call to answer your questions. We can also come out and look at your roof if you need it assessed.
We’re happy to serve homeowners in and around the Wilmington, North Carolina area, including Jacksonville, Surf City, and Carolina Beach.