Steel, aluminum and other types of metal provide a quality and long-lasting option for anyone needing a roof over their head. But metal roofing may not be for everyone. Before you buy, consider the pros and cons of a metal roof to see if this type of material is right for you.
Pros of Metal Roofing
Some of the benefits of a metal roof include:
- Longer life expectancy. While other types of roofs may need to be replaced after 20 or 30 years, it’s not uncommon for a metal roof to last twice that long.
- Greater durability. Mother nature can wreak havoc on a roof. But metal roofs stand up better to water and wind and are even much more resistant to things like fire, insects, mold, and rot.
- Ease of installation. Believe it or not, metal roofs are actually lighter in weight than other types of roofs and require less structural support. They can even often be installed over an existing roof without the need for a timely and expensive teardown.
- Increased energy efficiency. Metal reflects away the sun’s rays and absorbs less heat than shingle roofs. The result is more energy efficiency and lower air conditioning bills for you.
Cons of Metal Roofing
As good of an option as metal roofs can be, there are of course a few drawbacks. Among them are:
- Cost. Metal roofs typically cost quite a bit more, but the difference in cost is usually offset by how much longer these roofs last.
- Denting. Some types of metal roofs, such as aluminum or copper, may be more prone to dents suffered by heavy hail storms. However, these dents are purely cosmetic and do not affect the durability of the roof.
- Modifications. Because metal roofs are installed as large panels, it may be more difficult to match materials or make modifications to the existing metal.
You may be surprised not to see noise and lighting on this list of cons. That’s because noise from rain is actually muffled by the enhanced seal that accompanies a metal roof and metal roofs can be easily grounded to protect against lightning strikes.
We Do It All
Whether you opt for a metal roof or a shingled one, Atlantic Roofing Company can put it over your head. We specialize in both types of roofs along with gutter installation and storm damage protection. Contact us today for a free estimate or to ask us any questions about metal roofing.